Glendale Glitters’ lights are on every evening, even though programmed events are only happening on Friday and Saturday evenings through Dec. 21. The non-event nights, Sundays through Thursdays 6-10 p.m., are a perfect time to enjoy a more serene experience and take in the 1.5 million lights.
So, pack up the friends and family and head over. Here are all the details on the seven things to enjoy on a non-event night at Glendale Glitters:
- The beauty and joy of 1.5 million lights, covering 16 blocks with the Historic Downtown setting is worth the trip alone! Holiday music will be playing in Murphy Park to get everyone in the festive spirit.
- Horse-drawn carriage rides are the perfect opportunity to spend time with loved ones, with a much-loved holiday tradition. The ride is a unique way to enjoy the light display. Carriage rides are available Sunday through Thursday evening, between Dec. 1 and Jan. 10, 6 to 9 p.m. (depending on weather and demand). The carriage ride line forms at 58th Avenue and Glenn Dr. Rides cost $25 per carriage (up to 6 people) and take you through six blocks of historic downtown.
- When gathering with the family, a meal is usually involved. Enjoy dinner and/or coffee and dessert at one of many restaurants and shops in the downtown area. Many critically-acclaimed restaurants include ethnic offerings like Italian, German and Vietnamese, and mom-and-pop establishments offer everything from authentic Mexican recipes to an old-fashioned ice cream parlor.
- Still looking for those hard-to-shop-for people on your list? Downtown Glendale is home to some of the coolest boutiques and collectible stores, including one-of-a-kind items ranging from comic books to astrology to handmade jewelry and much more.
- Enjoy holiday décor and more. Many shops have special holiday displays, such as the shop Bears & More, which is decorated to look like a real gingerbread house and many indoor displays, as well. In addition, the décor of downtown Glendale has been spruced up with special holiday street pole banners throughout the area, which were purchased by Vice Mayor Yvonne Knaack’s discretionary fund, to provide the area with additional festive décor during the daytime hours when the Glendale Glitters light display isn’t on.
- Take your family holiday photo! What could be a better spot than Glendale Glitters? With a 30-foot Christmas tree, plus blocks and blocks of lights all around, there’s sure to be a perfect photo opportunity – no sitting fee or appointment required!
- Did you know many marriage proposals have happened at Glendale Glitters? It’s the perfect place to pop the question with the horse-drawn carriage rides and quaint historic locations to create a picturesque and memorable setting.
To find more information on the events and horse-drawn carriage rides, visit www.glendaleaz.com/events or call 623-930-2299. For more information on downtown shops and restaurants, as well as driving directions, visit www.visitglendale.com or call 623-930-4500.